Fine Art Painter & Sculptor
About Jake's art
One in your head and one that lights the room. I paint the first one. My paintings are lit by the light of imagination, the real light.
The places I visit in my work are a product of my dreams, that are also bathed in this light. It is an emotional light, that can convey a feeling, a mood or an idea. It is the light of nostalgia, of a distant memory, the light of the magical garden of childhood.
An image may come to me completed, can I hold it in my head, finish the painting before it fades? I don’t like to ask too many questions, to edit or filter. If I do, I am always left with just dust in my hands, or a less interesting painting .
I listen to the still voice within, the intuition, for guidance. The thinking I leave to the viewer. Meaning, might sometimes be wanting, or reason obscure, but there is often a power, a luminosity in a successful work that resists all clarification, that I would never exchange for the most carefully composed idea.
About Jake Baddeley
In 1996 he has his first solo exhibition. This exhibition is, much to his own surprise, such a success that it offers him the opportunity to paint on a full time base. Ever since he has had successful solo and group exhibitions both nationally and internationally and his work has found it’s way into many private and corporate collections.
Jake draws his inspirations from many sources: the Ancient Greeks, the Italian Renaissance Masters, the Dutch Masters, iconography, mythology, psychology and philosophy. But most of all he relies on his own subconscious and intuition which has proven many times to have a logic and curious independence of its own.
Publications, Art books, Catalogues, etc.
- Astrolabio – Extensive interview in this online astrology blog (pdf – in Portugese)
- Dreamscapes Edition 6 – Contemporary Imaginary Realism
- Dreamscapes V – Contemporary Imaginary Realism
- Dreamscapes 2010 – Contemporary Imaginary Realism
ISBN: 9 789490 668020
- Dreamscapes 2009 – Contemporary Imaginary Realism
ISBN: 9 789078 460022
- Metamorphosis – 50 Contemporary Surreal, Fantastic and Visionary Artists (2007) – ISBN 978-0-9803231-0-8
- 35 jaar Smelik & Stokking (2004)
- Drawing Down the Moon – 5 years of exhibitions at Joconde’s kabinet (2000) – ISBN 90-806053-1-X
Art work for book covers
- Lochlainn Seabrook – Christmas Before Christianity – How the Birthday of the “Sun” Became the Birthday of the “Son”
ISBN: 978-0-9821899-8-6 – order through: www.SeaRavenPress.com
- Peter Gärdenfors – Tankens Vindlar – om sprak, minne och berättande (2006)
- Mala Kishoendajal – Het Boegbeeld (2002) – ISBN 90-6265-536-X